Post Office Savings Accounts
This scheme helps individuals, house-wives, minors and others inculcating a habit of thrift in themselves.
- The interest payable on balance at the credit of an account increased from 3.5% p.a. to 4.00% p.a. w.e.f. 01.12.2011
Salient features Post Office Savings account accounts
Please click / tap on feature name to hide / view its content.
Minor's accounts can be opened through guardians.
A minor, who has attained 10 years age, can also open the account.
₹ 500/- in case of account with cheque book facility.
▲Cheque book Facility
Application for Nomination or Cancellation or variation of Nomination may be submitted on Form SB-55.
▲Taxability of Interest
With effect from 1st April 2018 (AY 2019-20) Senior Citizens (i.e. Residents aged 60 years or above) are eligible for exemption of interest income from Bank / Post Office deposits (Saving accounts / Time deposits / RD accounts) upto ₹ 50,000/- under Section 80TTB. (They are, however, not eligible for rebate under section 80TTA.)
No interest is payable for the balance less than Rs.50 in any particular month and for the balance more than Rs.1,00,000/- in a single account and Rs.200,000 in a joint account in a year.
If the depositor dies and there is without a nomination in force at the time of his death and the amount due is not exceeding Sixty Thousand Rupees, the Department of Post Office may pay the same to a person appearing before him, who is entitled to receive it or to administer the estate of the deceased.
- SB-7A - Account Closure/Premature Closure Form
- SB 41 - Application for Issue of Duplicate Pass-book
- SB-55 - Application for Nomination or Cancellation or variation of Nomination
- SB-3(a) - Letter of Authority to be produced by an agent on behalf of an illiterate/blind/physically handicapped depositor
- SB-10(b) - Application for transfer of Account
- SB-83 - Application for the purpose of automatic transfer from Savings Account to RD Account(s)
- SB-13(a) - Application for the transfer of Post Office TD Account as security
- SB-101 - Claim under the Scheme of Protected Savings
- SB-25 - Annexure-4 - Bond of Indemnity - To be executed by heirs of deceased Savings Bank Depositors.
- Claim Form - Claim application form for settlement of the claim to a Savings Bank Account of the deceased depositor where nomination has been registered with the Post Office.
- Claim Form - Claim application form for settlement of Savings Bank Account of the deceased depositor where the claim is preferred on legal evidence of heirship.
- SB-84 - Post Office Savings Bank/Savings Certificate claim application where no nomination exists or legal evidence is not produced
Finotax.com does not make any claim that the information provided on its pages is correct and up-to-date. The contents of this site cannot be treated or interpreted as a statement of law. In case, any loss or damage is caused to any person due to his/her treating or interpreting the contents of this site or any part thereof as correct, complete and up-to-date statement of law out of ignorance or otherwise, this site will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for such loss or damage.